I have been trying to perfect this granola recipe for a little while now & I think I may have finally done it!! The combination of flavours go so well & I’ve added some baked apple pieces which provide extra fibre, but also add some natural sweetness. The granola is totally gluten, dairy and nut free so great for those with intolerance’s/allergies. The popped quinoa gives a great crunchy texture and provides essential protein, ideal for those who are looking for a post workout snack or breakfast & those who are looking for plant based sources of protein in their diet.
It can be served with almond milk to make it suitable for vegans & vegetarians or some Greek yogurt & berries to provide extra protein & vitamins. The choice is totally yours.
Makes: 3-4 servings
You will need:
- 1 cup oats (GF is required)
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup mixed seeds
- One tbsp maple syrup
- Two tbsp coconut oil
- One tbsp nutmeg
- One tbsp cinammon
- 1/2 apple
- Place a tsp of oil in a small/ medium sized pan.
- Heat the oil for 1-2 mins.
- Rinse the quinoa with water.
- Place in the pan and heat for 5-10 mins. To make sure the quinoa doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan, cover with a lid and shake frequently throughout heating.
- Cut half an apple into slices and then slice again into small pieces.
- Add oats, mixed seeds, nutmeg, cinnamon and apple pieces in a large bowl and mix.
- Once the quinoa is heated and ‘popped’ to a crisper texture, add to the bowl and mix with the other ingredients.
- Melt the coconut oil in the pan on medium heat until melted.
- Add to the bowl and mix.
- Add the maple syrup and mix further.
- Place the granola on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in oven on medium heat 15-20 minutes.
Take out when golden and slightly crispy.