Hey everyone! I have a couple of new recipes I want to put up for you all tonight & I’m so excited about them.
My first recipe is my delicious sweet potato pie, I’ve made this a couple of times now & I just love it more & more. It isn’t unfortunately vegetarian as I have used minced beef but I’ve topped it with Vitamin A rich sweet potato & added some tamari in for a gorgeous flavour.
The whole idea I’m wanting to get across to you guys with this blog is how easy it can be to cook your recipes & meals from scratch with a little time & preparation. This homemade pie is no different & I hope you love it as much as I do. I have given the option to add either fresh cream into the sweet potato (everything is healthy in moderation) or some almond milk, its completely your choice. I have tried it with the cream however & it tasted amazing!
You will need:
- Three sweet potatoes
- Half an onion
- one carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 500g lean mince beef
- three tbsps tomato paste
- two tbsps gluten free tamari/ soy sauce if not gf.
- 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
- one tbsp extra thick double cream or a few tbsp almond milk
For the topping:
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into smaller quarters.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a pan with boiling water to cover.
- Heat on medium heat and leave to simmer.
For the mince:
- Heat a tsp olive oil/coconut oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Chop half an onion & place in the pan.
- Chop the carrot into slices and then in half again. Place in the pan with the onion.
- Heat until onion starts to brown slightly and smells amaze ( cooking onion is one of my fave smells ever).
- Add the garlic.
- Add the mince and stir until throughly browned all the way through ( approx 5 -10 mins)
- Add the tomatoes , tomato paste, tamari.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
Make sure the sweet potato has softened by pricking it with a fork ( the fork should come out pretty easily).
Drain in a colander.
Add the cream or almond milk to the potatoes and mash.
Transfer the mince beef to an oven dish and spread evenly. Top with the sweet potato mash and place in the oven for approx 20 mins until the top of the sweet potato has started to brown.
& your ready to serve!
You could also add some veggies to this dish, broccoli & cauliflower would go perfectly!