I made some of these little millionaire shortbread pieces to take out with us on our walk today and they were absolutely delicious! Just be careful not to put them out in the heat for too long as they are likely to melt a little. But inside they keep really well stored in the fridge. They are high in vitamin E as well as a source of magnesium from the almond goodness. They are also high in fibre with chia making 50% of the base.
I originally had extra maple syrup on the base but i honestly don’t think its necessary to add extra sugar as they are already tasty enough without it. I have kept a little bit of maple syrup sweetness for the chocolate topping as I think this works really well. They are really simple to make as always and can be done within 10 minutes but is best left to set overnight!
The mixture made once set can either be cut into squares or can be served as a cake slice. The choice is yours!
you will need:
for the base
- 22.5g chia.
- 1/4 cup water
- 200g ground almonds – equals 1 & 1/2 cups.
for the caramel filling
- 300g deglet nour dates
- 170g almond butter
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
For the topping
- 2 tbsps raw cacao
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- Firstly add the chia to 1/4 cup of water in a bowl and form into a ‘chia egg’ ( gel based substance in which all the chia is absorbed into the water) .
- Add the chia egg and ground almond into the food processor.
- Pulse until fully mixed.
- Take out and spread out evenly onto cake tray lined with a light layer of coconut oil.
- Spread out with your hands and push down until an even smooth base approx 1 cm thick.
For the caramel filling
- Cut the dates in half and make sure no pips are remaining. Place into the food processor and mix with the almonds and coconut oil until a paste forms.
- Take out and spread evenly on top of the almond & chia base.
- Push down firmly with a spoon.
- Leave mixture to set in fridge for approx half hour.
For the topping
- Melt the raw cacao, coconut oil and maple syrup on medium heat in a pan until fully mixed.
- Pour evenly over the top of the cake mixture.
Leave to set in the fridge overnight.
& your done.
As always let me know what you think and i hope you enjoy!