Happy Sunday!!!! Today I’m giving myself a complete day off of university work & real world work as I have been working all week & think i deserve it. Hope you are having a lovely restful day too. I wanted to share this mornings breakfast idea with you all. The healthy version of a fry up!! Need I say more..
This breakfast is jam packed full of delicious good stuff for your tummies with probiotic loaded sauerkraut & vitamin D rich mushrooms. The ingredients may sound expensive but I used frozen mixed mushrooms in which I have had in the freezer for a good while, vine tomatoes left over from a dish earlier in the week & leftover avocado from yesterdays meal, so really I’m just utilising leftovers.
Back to the probiotic goodness.. if you didn’t already know probiotics have been shown to be really good for your gut health.. like seriously good. They are the little good guys which can replenish your gut lining and aid in moving the contents along as well as producing immune boosting properties.. i.e they help fight off the badies which enter! Sometimes our gut bacteria can get a bit out of whack with the modern diet, antibiotics and general stressful times. This can also occur when people have damage or inflammation to the gut with conditions such as coeliac disease or a bad stomach virus. Not to worry though as there are many ways to combat such alterations in gut bacteria and consuming fermented foods is a great natural way of doing so.
Natural sources include ingredients such as miso, sauerkraut and kefir. I’m not going to lie the latter tastes absolutely disgusting.. to me anyway. I really enjoy eating miso and sauerkraut as they are a distinct taste but you can incorporate them into delicious meals as I hope to continue showing you in this blog. I do however put myself through drinking kefir on occasion as it really helps my digestion if I have eaten something that doesn’t agree with me. I have heard you can also make coconut kefir, so maybe that tastes a little better, maybe I will give it a go and feed back to you guys. You can also eat probiotic yogurts, however the science is unclear as to how many of those little guys actually reach your gut and how many are killed off by the fight of the stomach acid in the process. If you find it helps however, then by all means give it a go! Natural live yogurt is my favourite, but please stay away from the added flavours, chocolate balls or whatever. They are loaded with sugar & all sorts which are less that natural. Saying that if you want to incorporate one into a balanced diet every now & then, it won’t do much harm but just try not to have them everyday.
Back to the breakfast..
You will need..
- Two eggs
- Handful of frozen mixed mushrooms
- two tbsp sauerkraut
- approx 10 small vine tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- Start off by placing the vine tomatoes on a baking tray and place in oven on 180 degree heat.
- Place one tsp olive oil in a frying pan and heat for approx 1 minute .
- Place the mushrooms in the frying pan and stir with spatula.
- Boil a medium pan of water 3/4 full. Heat on medium/high heat until water is bubbling.
- Swirl the water round in circular motions with a knife until you have created a ‘whirlpool’ type effect in the water. Crack open one egg and place into the middle of the ‘whirlpool’.
- Cook for approx 3 minutes until the egg white is cooked.
- Take out and place on a plate.
- Repeat with the next egg.
- Stir the mushrooms and ensure cooking nicely.
- Chop the avocado into smaller square chunks and place next to the egg.
- Take out the tomatoes from the oven and place next to the egg and avocado.
- Add the sauerkraut
- Then finally add the mushrooms, they should have been cooking for approx 7 mins by now.
- & you are ready to serve.
Enjoy & have a lovely day!! I will hopefully be posting more probiotic full & nutritious recipes very soon so keep a look out!