This ice cream is the perfect alternative treat if you are looking for a sweet fix or you are restricted due to intolerances or allergies. I am pretty nut butter obsessed so of course it includes my all time favourite, whole earth peanut butter. Peanut butter is not only delicious but holds essential protein, with over 20g for every 100g grams of peanut butter you consume. It holds the ‘good’ types of fats mentioned in earlier posts such as mono and polyunsaturated fat proven to lower cholesterol and assist with heart health. It is also rich in fibre benefiting your gut health & keep things running smoothly.
Just bear in mind however that peanut butter contains 607kcal per 100g so even though it is good for you, moderation is absolute key. It is however an amazing food to incorporate into a healthy balanced diet. Bananas will also act as a ‘pre biotic’ within your gut, helping your healthy gut bacteria flourish and grow. This assists in creating an optimal environment for digestion and keeping your immune system strong. Bananas are also loaded with potassium which again is a key to keeping your heart healthy.
This recipe should ideally serve two portions but if you end up eating it all I can’t blame you as thats exactly what I did tonight in front of a Netflix binge, incorporating it into your diet and balancing it with what you have eaten & your exercise levels the rest of the day is key to staying healthy, the same as with any meal.
You will need..
- Two frozen bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- One tbsp peanut butter
- 40g Green and blacks dark chocolate (or a chocolate alternative)
- One tbsp maple syrup
- Additional tsp peanut butter
- crushed hazelnuts
- Pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor until slightly broken. Take out and place into a bowl.
- Pulse the frozen bananas in a food processor (ideally these will have been frozen overnight and chopped into smaller pieces prior to pulsing to make it easier on the food processor).
- Add the coconut milk and pulse further until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter and pulse until mixed.
- Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes – 1 hour to set further.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer after appropriate time period.
- Heat the chocolate over medium heat in a pan.
- Add the maple syrup and peanut butter.
- Heat until smooth.
- Transfer into a dish pouring the chocolate sauce over the ice cream.
- Top with hazelnut pieces.